Dear Dixon High School Families,
Happy Post-Halloween everybody! We had such an amazing day yesterday! Please remember, our mission is to prepare all students for college and career and we focus, community-wide, on our three common expectations:
Engage – participate actively and fully in learning
Seek Support – let adults know if and when you need support
Be Present – focus on what you are doing, when you are doing it
Parent Information Opportunities
- Please join me for Tuesday Talks tonight, at 7:00 for an informative evening in the theater. As I mentioned previously, we are fortunate to have Trevor Auldridge Reveles working in our community and he will be sharing his work with you. He is completing his PhD research on rural communities with high rates of upward mobility and so is working in Dixon, one of only two rural communities in California (and one of maybe 4,000 in the entire US) where young people find greater success as adults.
- Also this evening, after Trevor speaks, please feel free to stay and get any questions answered about school safety plans, social media issues, student drug use, or anything else on your mind. I want to work with you to keep our kids safe – physically, emotionally, and mentally.
- On another note, please take a moment to read this information from Solano County Public Health. Fentanyl Information.docx We are very concerned about our community’s teen drug use and their access to drugs. Did you know that some of our students are easily able to purchase drugs, just by finding strangers on Instagram? This happens in our community, just like other communities so please check in with your students often and let us know if you need help.
Please consider joining the DHS PTO! Our next meeting is Tuesday, November 8, at 7:00pm.
Please Check Out our Web Page at dixonusd.org
For example, if your student is interested in activities or clubs, they can find an updated list here:
Fall Sport Playoffs
Please join us for our fall sport playoff games! This week, our Water Polo teams play Thursday (girls) and Friday (boys) at the Woodland Community Pool. Both games begin at 5:00. Also, come out this Friday to watch our football team beat Foothill High School. That game begins at 7:00. Tickets are available on GoFan (gofan.com).
Notes From Our Office
- It is very important that students attend school every period, every day! That said, we know your student may need to miss. When they are out, please remember to communicate with us and bring in those doctor and dentist notes. We are happy to work with you but if we don’t hear from you, we can’t excuse your student’s absence. We know our phones are often busy so please feel free to leave a message or email Jennifer Parks directly at email@example.com.
- We still have too many tardies AND tomorrow is a Double Wednesday – the worst day EVER for tardies! Please, if your student has a bunch of tardies, especially in their first period of the day, help them realize that they need to leave earlier.
- 12 week grades should be mailed by the end of this week so look for those over the weekend or early next week.
College Advising on Wednesdays for All Students
Our counseling office is hosting College Wednesdays at lunch in the College and Career Center. All students are welcome to stop in and get their college and career questions answered. This is a great opportunity for our seniors to get help with finalizing applications, completing the FAFSA, making career decisions, etc. It is also a fantastic opportunity for our younger students who are exploring post-secondary opportunities.
Resources for Students and Families
Our teachers are working very hard to meet your students’ needs in class and out. But, there are many ways to help your student if they are struggling.
- We expect every student to use a common binder system AND complete their planner every hour, every day, at Dixon High School. Please take a look at both of these resources every evening to make sure your student is taking advantage of these tools that are used to help students stay focused and organized.
- When you look at the planner, take a look to see how often your student is out of class. If they aren’t in class, they can’t learn. Teachers will be initialing the planner when students leave class each period.
- Encourage your student to go to the Learning Center in the library. They have tutoring and support every morning and afternoon.
- Reach out to staff if you need any suggestions or help. We REALLY want every student to be successful.
This year, every senior family is expected to complete the FAFSA, a financial document for all post-secondary institutions. If you would like some help our counseling office is hosting a Workshop on Thursday, November 17, 2022 beginning at 5:30pm. We can help you with this!! To participate in the workshop, parents will need to have a FAFSA log in already in place. Please join us on Wednesday, November 9, 2022 from 5:30-6:30 if you need any help.
For senior portraits, students should go to prestigeportraits.com and enter their appointment code (sent to homes on a postcard or via email from Prestige Portraits) to find their appointment time. All seniors need to take a senior portrait with Prestige for the yearbook. Make-up appointments are November, 7, 8, and 9, schedule online at prestigeportraits.com
We Have Answers
Do you have questions about school policies and procedures such as dress code, attendance, etc? Please take time to read through the DHS Student & Parent Handbook! Many answers can be found here!
Upcoming Calendar Events – Get out those calendars! 🙂
November 1: Tuesday Talks – Trevor Auldridge Reveles, 7:00
November 2: UC Application Workshop, 5:30-6:30
November 3: CSU Application Workshop, 5:30-6:30
November 7-9: Make up Senior Portraits
November 9: Support for Senior Parents – FAFSA log in, 5:30-6:30
November 8: DHS PTO Meeting, 7:00 pm
November 10: DHS Band Indoor Marching Experience, 7:00 pm
November 17: FAFSA Workshop
Here are links to important documents you need:
- School calendar: https://tinyurl.com/yj9akacy
- Single/double week schedule: https://tinyurl.com/9du3sjw6
- Bell schedule: https://tinyurl.com/2p8b3xbb
- Who’s who (english): https://tinyurl.com/tc79h7ze
- Campus map: https://tinyurl.com/bdzftd72
As always, please let us know how we can help.
Proud Principal of Dixon High School
firstname.lastname@example.org, (707) 693-6330 ext.7113