Dear Dixon High School Families,
This week we have a whole lot to talk about! Please remember, our mission is to prepare all students for college and career and we focus, community-wide, on our three common expectations:
Engage – participate actively and fully in learning
Seek Support – let adults know if and when you need support
Be Present – focus on what you are doing, when you are doing it
Student Behavior Issues
While overall our kids’ are doing great, we do have a few behavioral issues we need your help with.
- Unfortunately, a small group of students are engaging in negative behaviors in our restrooms. This is a huge concern for us because our restrooms should be a safe place for all students. We have increased supervision in and around our restrooms. Occasionally, we have to close a restroom due to damage caused by students but we still have plenty of restroom access.
- Our campus is a closed campus. This means that students are not allowed to leave at lunch (or any other time for that matter) during the day. The only exception to this is if they are signed out by a parent or guardian.
- Speaking of signing students out, we will be asking parents to come into the office to sign students out in most cases. Recently, some of our more creative teens have been having acquaintances (pretending to be a parent) call in to release students. Please understand that student safety is always our top priority.
Please consider joining the DHS PTO! Our next meeting is Tuesday, November 8, at 7:00pm.
Please Check Out our Web Page at dixonusd.org
For example, if your student is interested in activities or clubs, they can find an updated list here:
Please join us for our Annual Fall Festival and Car Show this Saturday, October 29! We love the opportunity to host our community – especially our littlest neighbors – with games, crafts, snacks, and fun! Check out the flyers on our Dixon High School Facebook Page or the DHS PTO Facebook Page for more information.
Parent Information Opportunities
- Please join me on Tuesday, November 1 at 7:00 for an informative evening. As I mentioned previously, we are fortunate to have Trevor Auldridge Reveles working in our community and he will be sharing his work with you. He is completing his PhD research on rural communities with high rates of upward mobility and so is working in Dixon, one of only two rural communities in California (and one of maybe 4,000 in the entire US) where young people find greater success as adults.
- On a more serious note, please take a moment to read this information from Solano County Public Health. Fentanyl Information.docx We are very concerned about our community’s teen drug use and their access to drugs. Did you know that some of our students are easily able to purchase drugs, just by finding strangers on Instagram? This happens in our community, just like other communities so please check in with your students often and let us know if you need help.
College Advising on Wednesdays for All Students
Our counseling office is hosting College Wednesdays at lunch in the College and Career Center. All students are welcome to stop in and get their college and career questions answered. This is a great opportunity for our seniors to get help with finalizing applications, completing the FAFSA, making career decisions, etc. It is also a fantastic opportunity for our younger students who are exploring post-secondary opportunities.
Resources for Students and Families
Our teachers are working very hard to meet your students’ needs in class and out. But, there are many ways to help your student if they are struggling.
- We expect every student to use a common binder system AND complete their planner every hour, every day, at Dixon High School. Please take a look at both of these resources every evening to make sure your student is taking advantage of these tools that are used to help students stay focused and organized.
- When you look at the planner, take a look to see how often your student is out of class. If they aren’t in class, they can’t learn. Teachers will be initialing the planner when students leave class each period.
- Encourage your student to go to the Learning Center in the library. They have tutoring and support every morning and afternoon.
- Reach out to staff if you need any suggestions or help. We REALLY want every student to be successful.
ACT and SAT for 11th Graders
If you have a college bound student, please encourage them to sit for the SAT/ACT exams during their junior year. Even though our UC and CSU partners don’t require the exams, there are many reasons to take them:
- Scores can be used to determine course eligibility in English and Mathematics at UC’s and CSU’s.
- Scores can opt students out of requirements such as CBEST assessments for graduate programs.
- Many other colleges and universities still require the exams.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our counselors.
This year, every senior family is expected to complete the FAFSA, a financial document for all post-secondary institutions. If you would like some help our counseling office is hosting a Workshop on Thursday, November 17, 2022 beginning at 5:30pm. We can help you with this!! To participate in the workshop, parents will need to have a FAFSA log in already in place. Please join us on Tuesday, November 9, 2022 from 5:30-6:30 if you need any help.
For senior portraits, students go to prestigeportraits.com and enter their appointment code (sent to homes on a postcard or via email from Prestige Portraits) to find their appointment time. All seniors need to take a senior portrait with Prestige for the yearbook. Make-up appointments are November, 7, 8, and 9, schedule online at prestigeportraits.com
We Have Answers
Do you have questions about school policies and procedures such as dress code, attendance, etc? Please take time to read through the DHS Student & Parent Handbook! Many answers can be found here!
Upcoming Calendar Events – Get out those calendars! 🙂
October 27: 12 Week Grading Period Ends
October 28: No School – Teacher Workday
October 29: DHS Fall Festival, 6:30 pm
November 1: Tuesday Talks – Trevor Auldridge Reveles, 7:00
November 2: UC Application Workshop, 5:30-6:30
November 3: CSU Application Workshop, 5:30-6:30
November 7-9: Make up Senior Portraits
November 9: Support for Senior Parents – FAFSA log in, 5:30-6:30
November 8: DHS PTO Meeting, 7:00 pm
November 10: DHS Band Indoor Marching Experience, 7:00 pm
November 17: FAFSA Workshop
Here are links to important documents you need:
- School calendar: https://tinyurl.com/yj9akacy
- Single/double week schedule: https://tinyurl.com/9du3sjw6
- Bell schedule: https://tinyurl.com/2p8b3xbb
- Who’s who (english): https://tinyurl.com/tc79h7ze
- Campus map: https://tinyurl.com/bdzftd72
As always, please let us know how we can help.
Proud Principal of Dixon High School
firstname.lastname@example.org, (707) 693-6330 ext.7113