Dear Dixon High School Families,
Did you know that Dixon High School is an AVID School-wide school? This means that our entire community operates with common expectations for culture, and rigorous learning centered with common WICOR strategies (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading) embedded in instruction. We are super excited to provide this positive support so all students develop the skills to design their own futures. You can help support your student with us by checking their planner, binder, and backpack every day.
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind this week:
The DUSD Tech Department continues to work to support all students with Chromebooks and new devices finally arrived. We were able to provide new devices for all 11th graders and will begin providing new gear for our 10th graders this Friday. With this said, we need your help with a few things:
- Please make sure your student takes care of their device. While we understand there is some wear and tear with regular use, damage like missing keys, dropped devices, etc should be reported immediately.
- Students must bring a fully charged device (and a charger) every day.
PTO Meeting Tonight
Please join us for our PTO Meeting this evening, at 7:00 in the theater on campus. Here is our agenda: DHS PTO Meeting Agenda 20221011.pdf
Parent Information Opportunity
DUSD is hosting a community night about social media. The evening is hosted by the Organization for Social Media Safety and will be held in the Community Theater on campus from 6:00-7:30 pm on October 19. This is a great opportunity to get updated information about how to support our teens.
Dixon Migrant parent advisory
monthly meetings on Monday, October 17th, from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm. Join us and participate in the presentation on electronic cigarettes. Our in-person meeting will take place at John Knight Middle School (455 East A St) in room A115 or via Zoom. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
We are looking forward to seeing you! Mayté Gudiño, email@example.com , (707) 693-6380
Join Zoom Meeting
Who’s That Guy on Campus?
We have a guest at Dixon High School in Trevor Auldrige Reveles is a PhD student working in our community. He is doing research on rural communities with high rates of upward mobility and so is working in Dixon, one of only two rural communities in California (and one of maybe 4,000 in the entire US) where young people find greater success as adults. This is a fantastic opportunity, something our community should be very proud of, and we are all enjoying Trevor’s presence on campus.
Fall Activities are On a Roll!
Congratulations to all of our students out there competing, collaborating, and celebrating! Congratulations to our Cross Country, Band, Water Polo, Tennis, Girls’ Golf, Volleyball, Football, and Cheer teams! They are all doing great and making us proud with their sportsmanship, dedication, and energy. Congratulations also to our Math Steeplechase Team competing today under the guidance of Mrs. Freitas! Rock on, Mathies!
Resources for Students and Families
Our teachers are working very hard to meet your students’ needs in class and out. But, there are many ways to help your student if they are struggling.
- We expect every student to use a common binder system AND complete their planner every hour, every day, at Dixon High School. Please take a look at both of these resources every evening to make sure your student is taking advantage of these tools that are used to help students stay focused and organized.
- When you look at the planner, take a look to see how often your student is out of class. If they aren’t in class, they can’t learn. Teachers will be initialing the planner when students leave class each period.
- Encourage your student to go to the Learning Center in the library. They have tutoring and support every morning and afternoon.
- Reach out to staff if you need any suggestions or help. We REALLY want every student to be successful.
ACT and SAT for 11th Graders
If you have a college bound student, please encourage them to sit for the SAT/ACT exams during their junior year. Even though our UC and CSU partners don’t require the exams, there are many reasons to take them:
- Scores can be used to determine course eligibility in English and Mathematics at UC’s and CSU’s.
- Scores can opt students out of requirements such as CBEST assessments for graduate programs.
- Many other colleges and universities still require the exams.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our counselors.
This year, every senior family is expected to complete the FAFSA, a financial document for all post-secondary institutions. If you would like some help our counseling office is hosting a Workshop on November 17, 2022 beginning at 5:30pm. We can help you with this!!
For senior portraits, students go to prestigeportraits.com and enter their appointment code (sent to homes on a postcard or via email from Prestige Portraits) to find their appointment time. All seniors need to take a senior portrait with prestige for the yearbook. Make-up appointments are November, 7, 8, and 9, schedule online at prestigeportraits.com
We Have Answers
Do you have questions about school policies and procedures such as dress code, attendance, etc? Please take time to read through the DHS Student & Parent Handbook! Many answers can be found here!
Upcoming Calendar Events – Get out those calendars! 🙂
October 11: PTO Meeting, 7:00 PM
October 12: PSAT Test Day (7:15am start time)
October 13: Last Home Football Game (except for us WINNING in playoffs) against Pioneer High School
October 19: Social Media Safety Presentation
October 28: No School – Teacher Workday
October 29: DHS Fall Festival
November 2: UC Application Workshop (5:30-6:30)
November 3: CSU Application Workshop (5:30-6:30)
November 7-9: Make up Senior Portraits
November 10: DHS Band Indoor Marching Experience
November 17: FAFSA Workshop
Here are links to important documents you need:
- School calendar: https://tinyurl.com/yj9akacy
- Single/double week schedule: https://tinyurl.com/9du3sjw6
- Bell schedule: https://tinyurl.com/2p8b3xbb
- Who’s who (english): https://tinyurl.com/tc79h7ze
- Campus map: https://tinyurl.com/bdzftd72
As always, please let us know how we can help.
Proud Principal of Dixon High School
firstname.lastname@example.org, (707) 693-6330 ext.7113