Dear Dixon High School Families,
It was WONDERFUL to experience the return of our spirit and sense of fun throughout Homecoming Week as we regroup after the intense pandemic years. Our students just shine!
Special thanks to our Leadership class and their teacher, Mrs. Haines, for organizing activities and experiences. This is new to them but they did a great job planning a week of spirit days, food trucks, rallies, Homecoming court, and HUGE dance. Thanks also to our football and cheer programs, our amazing band, and our extra spunky DHS Barnyard for a beautiful night of football fun! Our admin team is tired but we had a great time! I will be posting some pictures of our events on our Facebook page so take a look when you get a moment!
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind this week:
Tuesday Talks – In Person
Please join me tomorrow evening, 7:00, in the theater on campus for a Tuesday Talks with the Principal meeting. We will chat about how to support your students academically, what to do if they need help, why attendance matters, and how you can stay involved. Also, this is a chance for you to ask ANY questions! 🙂
Resources for Students and Families
Our teachers are working very hard to meet your students’ needs in class and out. But, there are many ways to help your student if they are struggling.
- We expect every student to use a common binder system AND complete their planner every hour, every day, at Dixon High School. Please take a look at both of these resources every evening to make sure your student is taking advantage of these tools that are used to help students stay focused and organized.
- When you look at the planner, take a look to see how often your student is out of class. If they aren’t in class, they can’t learn. Teachers will be initialing the planner when students leave class each period.
- Encourage your student to go to the Learning Center in the library. They have tutoring and support every morning and afternoon.
- Reach out to staff if you need any suggestions or help. We REALLY want every student to be successful.
ACT and SAT for 11th graders
If you have a college bound student, please encourage them to sit for the SAT/ACT exams during their junior year. Even though our UC and CSU partners don’t require the exams, there are many reasons to take them:
- Scores can be used to determine course eligibility in English and Mathematics at UC’s and CSU’s.
- Scores can opt students out of requirements such as CBEST assessments for graduate programs.
- Many other colleges and universities still require the exams.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our counselors.
If you are the parent of a senior, you know that college application season can be really stressful. Please remind your student that their life journey is just beginning and that they will be okay! Also, encourage them to apply to many different schools before making a decision. Some things to consider…
- Do they want a big school or a small school?
- Do they want to live on campus or at home?
- Do they want a competitive school or something less competitive?
- What do they want to study (we ALWAYS recommend they study what they want to learn)?
- Do they want to drive back and forth or fly back and forth?
Also, please remember that our staff knows lots about college
There are so many fun things to talk about!!
This year, every senior family is expected to complete the FAFSA, a financial document for all post-secondary institutions. If you would like some help our counseling office is hosting a Workshop on November 17, 2022 beginning at 5:30pm. We can help you with this!!
Make-up picture day is October 11th. All students can order school pictures online at: mylifetouch.com. Images can be previewed there and you can order with your student ID#. We will schedule students that missed taking a picture in August.
For senior portraits, students go to prestigeportraits.com and enter their appointment code (sent to homes on a postcard or via email from Prestige Portraits) to find their appointment time. All seniors need to take a senior portrait with prestige for the yearbook. Make-up appointments are November, 7, 8, and 9, schedule online at prestigeportraits.com
We Have Answers
Do you have questions about school policies and procedures such as dress code, attendance, etc? Please take time to read through the DHS Student & Parent Handbook! Many answers can be found here!
We Need Your Help!
As noted in the superintendent’s weekly update, DUSD is obligated to have all families complete the Income Verification Survey. I think it is very important to remember that this is necessary to keep all of the programs and services we have built for your students. If you’ve already done this…THANK YOU! If you haven’t yet, please complete the survey at your earliest convenience. Our Parent Liaison, Mrs. Gonzalez is also making phone calls and sending email reminders to families. Please reach out to me directly, if you have any additional questions.
English Alternative Income Survey
Spanish Alternative Income Survey
Upcoming Calendar Events – Get out those calendars! 🙂
October 4: CSU Parent and Student Presentation (5:30-6:30)
October 5: UC Parent and Student Presentation (5:30-6:30)
October 10: No School – Local Holiday
October 11: Make up Pictures
October 12: PSAT Test Day (7:15am start time)
October 28: No School – Teacher Workday
November 2: UC Application Workshop (5:30-6:30)
November 3: CSU Application Workshop (5:30-6:30)
November 7-9: Make up Senior Portraits
November 17: FAFSA Workshop
Here are links to important documents you need:
- School calendar: https://tinyurl.com/yj9akacy
- Single/double week schedule: https://tinyurl.com/9du3sjw6
- Bell schedule: https://tinyurl.com/2p8b3xbb
- Who’s who (english): https://tinyurl.com/tc79h7ze
- Campus map: https://tinyurl.com/bdzftd72
As always, please let us know how we can help.
Proud Principal of Dixon High School
email@example.com, (707) 693-6330 ext.7113