Dear Dixon High School Families,
Hello everybody and thank you for a great start to the year. We have been VERY busy at DHS and I am happy to be reaching out to you. I will be sending an email each week to keep you informed. Please read through the information below (in no particular order) and I always welcome your questions via email or phone.
Expectations and our mission
Dixon High School is committed to ensuring ALL students graduate college and career ready for their post-secondary plans.
We also hold ourselves and our community to three common expectations,
- Be present
- Engage fully
- Seek Support
Additionally, as an AVID School-wide school, we are committed to delivering on our mission by making sure every single student has equitable access to rigorous instruction and organizational support. Your student has a planner and a DHS binder with dividers. Our expectation is that every student makes use of these systems in every class, every day.
We need your help!
While we are excited to work with all students, every day, we need them to do their part and this is where you come in! Check your students’ planner and binder every night and make sure they have what they need and only what they need in their backpacks for the next day. Every student should have…
- DHS binder
- DHS planner
- District-issued Chromebook and charger
- Enough lined paper for the day/week
- Enough graph paper for the day/week
- Graphing calculator if required
- Pens/pencils they need
These things alone make for heavy backpacks. Don’t bring other things beyond a water bottle and food/snacks.
Breakfast and lunch at DHS
Every student gets free breakfast and lunch at DHS. They need to either scan their ID card (really fast process) or punch their school ID# into the keypad (a much slower process). We still offer fun snacks and drinks but these cost real money.
If your student did not get an ID card because they didn’t take a picture at orientation, they will be able to get an ID card on makeup picture day (October 11). If they lost their ID card, email Bob Bugalski (email@example.com) and the replacement cost is $10.
More about pictures…
Senior portrait sessions with Prestige Portraits are September 19 – September 23. Schedule with the company at https://schedule.prestigeportraits.com/schedule/home.html?CA&Dixon.
Students who took pictures at orientation may order picture packages at mylifetouch.com. You will need to know your students ID# and your images should be available to preview.
I hope you’ve had the opportunity to meet our new Attendance Secretary, Jennifer Parks. She is doing a great job, taking over for Brenda Percival who happily retired (but we know she misses us).
As we move on from the pesky pandemic, we, like all schools in California, are returning to strict attendance guidelines. We are closely monitoring, recording, and following up with tardies, absences, etc. Be sure to notify Jennifer right away when your student is out by calling at 707-693-6330, ext 7102. Also, if your student has an appointment, they must drop off a medical/dental note from your visit to have the absence excused.
Our Learning Center is Open!!
If your student needs some tutoring or just a safe place to do homework with the nicest person ever, please have them come to the Learning Center – open mornings and afternoons – supervised by Mrs. Hartsook.
DHS Learning Center Hours
Back to School Night
It feels like a thousand years since we’ve been able to host a real, in-person Back to School Night at Dixon High School! Plan on joining us next Wednesday, August 31 to meet all of your students’ teachers and visit our happening campus! More information will be sent soon.
Here are some other things to keep in mind regarding communication…
- I will send a RAMpage email every week
- I am always interested in hearing your thoughts and questions. Please feel free to email me at any time and I will respond. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I will be hosting parent nights (Tuesday Talks) once a month this year. Our next Tuesday Talk will be on Tuesday, September 20, at 7:00pm. These evenings are an opportunity for you to be involved, get support, stay informed, and get your questions answered.
- Disclaimer: There are many private Facebook groups that do NOT represent the entire school. While these sites may be a great opportunity for networking, they do not represent the school or Associated Student Body and may post events and activities that are not available to all students. The Dixon High School page, the Dixon Unified School District page, the DHS PTO page, and our school’s Athletics and club pages are the only ones authorized to share events and announcements to ensure they are inclusive for all students. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.
Thank you to all of our parents that signed up to be part of our PTO! We are hosting our first meeting this week and I have reached out to our current members. If you haven’t signed up yet, please email me directly so you can join the team for our next meeting.
Even if you don’t want to participate in the PTO, I still want to hear from you! Please do not hesitate to reach out.
Here are links to important documents you need:
- School calendar: https://tinyurl.com/yj9akacy
- Single/double week schedule: https://tinyurl.com/9du3sjw6
- Bell schedule: https://tinyurl.com/2p8b3xbb
- Who’s who (english): https://tinyurl.com/tc79h7ze
- Campus map: https://tinyurl.com/bdzftd72
As always, please let us know how we can help.
Proud Principal of Dixon High School
email@example.com, (707) 693-6330 ext.7113