Dear Dixon High School Students and Families,
I would like to take a moment to introduce myself and the DHS RAMpage to you in preparation for what I know will be a fantastic school year! I am the proud principal of Dixon High School, where we are committed to ensuring all students graduate ready for their college and career choices. Here are some things to keep in mind as we approach the beginning of the year:
Dixon High School has an amazing teaching staff and support team to meet your students’ needs. We are committed to equitable opportunities (academically, socially, and emotionally) for every student. We also hold ourselves and our community to three common expectations:
- Be present
- Engage fully
- Seek Support
We will model and talk much more about these at orientation meetings and throughout the year.
In our continuing efforts to ensure equitable access for all students and families, we will be communicating regularly. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- I will send a RAMpage email every week when school begins and as needed until then.
- I am always interested in hearing your thoughts and questions. Please feel free to email me at any time and I will respond. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have an active presence on Facebook and all of our sites are public, so you don’t even need to have a Facebook account. Please join us at Dixon High School – Home | Facebook.
- There are also many private groups on Facebook that may appear to represent the entire school. While these sites are a great opportunity for networking, they do not represent the school and Associated Student Body and may advertise events and activities that aren’t available to all students. Dixon High School page, the DUSD page, the DHS PTO page, and our school’s Athletics and club pages are the only pages authorized to share events and announcements to ensure they are inclusive for all students. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.
- I will be hosting parent nights (Tuesday Talks) every month this year. Our first evening will be on Tuesday, August 16, at 7:00pm. These evenings are an opportunity for you to be involved, get support, stay informed, and get your questions answered.
- If you are interested in being part of what we do on campus – especially with regard to events and opportunities for students – please join our PTO! You can complete the google form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MdhU0KSWJZimxe_qd8c1Hz5N5j0hMdYupJ_NEIZFShE/edit?usp=sharing. Thank you so much to those of you who already signed up! Our first PTO meeting is Wednesday, August 3 at 6:00pm in the theater. I will reach out to interested parents before then.
Beginning the 2022-2023 School Year
We know you probably have so many questions about how the year will start and I am sure our incoming Class of 2026 is a wee bit nervous about coming to the high school! Please put those worries at ease! We will walk you through everything over the course of the next month or so.
- Orientation for new students and all 9th graders will take place the morning of August 9, beginning at 8:30am. Students will be able to get lots of information, pick up their schedules, meet our coaches, staff, and student groups, participate in a tour, and spend their first morning as a Ram. They will also take their pictures for their school ID’s.
- Orientation for parents of new students and incoming 9th graders will take place August 9 at 8:30am in the theater. This is an opportunity to get some important information and get your questions answered.
- Returning students will be able to pick up their schedules and will get their ID pictures taken on August 9 as well. We will send them an orientation schedule via email next week.
- Student supply list:
- Fully charged district-issued Chromebook (repairs and new devices available August 9)
- Binder with dividers (provided by DHS)
- Planner (provided by DHS)
- Pens, pencils, highlighters as needed
- Colored pencils (recommended)
- Loose leaf lined and graph paper
- Graphing calculator for math (please wait for direction from math teachers before purchasing)
Especially for Seniors
I cannot wait to see how our Senior Class of 2023 changes our world! These kids are so strong and have so much to offer. Here are some things to keep in mind as you prepare for your student’s senior year:
- It is not too early to begin the college application process if your student is interested. We will have many, many supports for seniors in the fall for both college AND career plans but, if your senior is ready to go with applications, many colleges begin accepting those as early as August. For example, this morning, I emailed seniors with information from CSU Chico. If they aren’t ready to do this, please don’t worry! This time is stressful for many kids and they will let you know when they are ready.
- For now, a good way to support your senior is to just talk with them about their interests and plans. If they are planning on applying to colleges, have them make a list and encourage them to chat with staff members or friends to find out more information.
- If your senior plans on attending a four year college or university, find out if the campus requires SAT and/or ACT scores. If they do, your student will need to register for these exams.
- While it’s great to focus on graduation and next steps, this can be overwhelming for seniors as school begins. They still have a rigorous course load, exams, FAFSA, college apps, career decisions, activities, jobs, relationships, and the realization that they may be leaving their home. For this reason, we tend to push things like graduation planning, scholarships, celebrations, etc. to later in the year. Don’t worry! We don’t forget! Just enjoy your human and watch them grow.
Bell Schedules and Contact Lists
This year, our bell schedule included an 8:30 start for 1st period so it is slightly different then years past. You can find it here: pdf 2022-2023 Bell Schedule – Google Docs.pdf If you are new to Dixon High School, you might find the double week concept a little confusing but don’t worry, it will all make sense.
Here are some contact numbers you might find useful 2022-2023 Who’s Who at Dixon High School
Of course, there is much more information to come! I can’t wait to see your kids on campus.
Proud Principal of Dixon High School
email@example.com, (707) 693-6330 ext.7113